How much good can be done by simply not answering back in a negative way? How much good can be done by simply not doing something negative toward your husband? What does this mean? Here are some suggestions:
- stop remembering and mentioning negative things he has done in the past
- don’t tell him of his bad habits
- when he says something that makes you angry, just be quiet
- don’t put something in his way simply to see him fail
- don’t keep him from socializing with his friends or his family
These are just some suggestions. Every good gift comes from God. This gift of saying or doing nothing negative can be found in:
- Proverbs 15:1 “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger”.
- Psalm 4:4 “Be angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still”.
- Proverbs 17:28 “Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace;When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive”.
- Romans 13:10 “Love does no harm to a neighbor, therefore, love is the fulfillment of the law”.
One of the things the Hippocratic Oath says is “never do harm to anyone”, which I’ve also heard as “first, do no harm”. I pray we can at least, do no harm to our husbands, and even to everyone. This is more than a good idea, it is a commandment to those who are following God’s words, which Jesus said that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments.
Today, this year, for all your years, at least, say and do nothing negative to your or about your husband. Improve your life and the world in this small way.
Sharon, with Mary