I ran across this passage as I was trying to find something else to do besides housework.
“And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of inheritance; For you serve the Lord Christ.” Colossians 3:23,24
Well, that verse just tore me up – I knew I wasn’t doing right by not taking care of the work at hand.
Here are some excuses for not doing the housework that this verse crushes:
- Husband never rewards me for all the work I do: “from the Lord you will receive the reward of inheritance”
- How can I work for someone who throws his clothes all over the floor?: “You serve the Lord Christ”
- I am tired of trying to get the children to pick up after themselves: “You serve the Lord Christ”
- How can I work for someone who yells at me? “You serve the Lord Christ”
- I’d rather do church work than house work. “Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men”
- Working at home does not have any glory: “You will receive the reward of inheritance”.
This verse brings on new life and new meaning to doing the dirty jobs of housework. It’s suddenly no longer “dirty jobs” anymore. Now, there is a joy in house work. We just need this daily reminder.
Sharon, with Mary